- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped. Ghiradelli is a beautiful chocolate.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over med /low heat.
- Add onion, garlic, oregano, cumin and cinnamon.
- Cover and cook until onion is almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in chili powder and flour, stir for 3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth.
- Increase heat to med. high.
- Boil until reduced, about 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in chocolate; season with salt and pepper, if desired.