Every year I make a few batches of this to give away as gifts. It’s amazingly creamy and minty. I wrap mine is clear cellophane pouches and tie them up with a pretty ribbon. It’s always loved!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 pound white chocolate, chopped (do not use chips)
- 2 cups puffed rice cereal
- 1 bag (7 1/2 ounces) hard peppermint candies, unwrapped
- Spray a 10-by-15-inch rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; line with a piece of waxed paper. Crush candies (see below).
- Place white chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in rice cereal.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan; with a spatula, spread to edges of pan.
- Sprinkle with crushed candy; with a piece of waxed paper covering the entire surface, press in gently (paper prevents hands from sticking to candy and chocolate). Chill until firm, 20 to 30 minutes (no longer, as candy will begin to soften).
- Peel waxed paper off. Break bark into 2-inch pieces.
To crush candies: Place candy in a doubled resealable plastic bag (one inside the other); seal and wrap in a kitchen towel (to prevent candy from piercing the bag). Use a rolling pin or skillet to crush candy into tiny pieces. Pass through a large sieve to separate crushed candy from fine powder. (Save powder to stir into hot chocolate or sprinkle on ice cream.